Senior Scientist, Protein Design
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, June 1, 2022
Our mission at Asimov is to advance humanity's ability to design living systems, enabling biotechnologies with outsized benefit to society. We're developing a mammalian synthetic biology platform––from cells to software––to enable the design and manufacture of next-generation therapeutics.
We're seeking a full-time Senior Scientist, Protein Design to join our team in Boston, MA. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of building and applying diverse models to capture and predict the relationship between sequence and function, in order to design proteins with new properties. This role will be a key contributor to our team, contributing to the development of new tools for genetic engineering. They will also work closely with Asimov’s world-class synthetic biology and high-throughput experimentation teams. This is a unique opportunity to work at a nimble, forward-thinking synthetic biology startup and help build the future of biological engineering.
About the role:
- You’ll apply, develop, and deploy predictive models for protein sequence-to-structure and sequence-to-performance relationships using biophysical, homology-based, and AI approaches.
- Applying these models to protein design and engineering challenges, you’ll predict sequences capable of new functions and properties.
- Working closely with experimentalists to design experiments, interpret results, and report relevant findings, you’ll help us push the boundaries of biological engineering.
- You’ll maintain a keen awareness of recent developments in the field for modeling and predicting protein properties, and report these findings to internal stakeholders.
- We have a hybrid team structure but our experimental team works from our lab in Cambridge (moving to the Fenway neighborhood of Boston, MA in September 2022).
- You enjoy working in a fast-paced, collaborative environment with scientists with diverse backgrounds.Expertise with protein structure, protein biochemistry, structure prediction, and sequence determinants of protein or enzyme properties is required for this role.
- Machine learning and statistics are securely in your wheelhouse, stemming from years of practice and experience.
- Expertise with and deep learning techniques including generative models, language models, and diverse architectures a plus.
- You know Python and have experience with libraries including Scikit-learn, Pandas, TensorFlow, PyTorch, Keras.
- You have a PhD in a field related to computational protein design such as: Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, Biophysics, Computational Biology or Engineering Sciences.
- With 3+ years of industry experience, you have a track record of applying a wide variety of modeling approaches to solve problems related to protein engineering.
We're fueled by a vision to transform biological engineering into a fully-fledged engineering discipline. Should you join our team, you will grow with a constantly evolving organization and push the frontiers of synthetic biology. Company culture is key to Asimov, and ours is a culture of recombination; we believe that our mission can only be achieved by bringing together a diverse team with a mixture of backgrounds and perspectives.
See more open positions at Asimov
Something looks off?