Junior Scientist - Genetic Engineering
We are out of time. Change must be immediate. We have to help the world find alternative ways to produce all the same things we love. But better. Using less land, less water, less energy, and making less waste. If you think that sounds like a mission, well, you are right. We are solving the world’s most important problems with talented individuals who share our passion to change the world. GALY is an early-stage company developing novel in vitro plant cell culture methods to produce cotton, and other plant products in a process that is faster and uses fewer resources than if grown in the ground. GALY's environment is built so everyone, regardless of gender, race, religion, age, or background, can do their best work.
Come and join our rapidly growing team, work with smart and dedicated people and help develop cutting-edge technologies that will have a lasting impact on the world. The successful candidate will assist in executing existing assays and contribute to the development of novel assays. The candidate’s ability to learn quickly, thrive in the lab environment, and optimize workflows that are important to support and help GALY fulfill its mission.
Here’s What You’ll do:
- Develop new techniques and assays to foster tissue culture growth, manipulate traits, increase efficacy of current procedures, and make discoveries
- Utilize literature to develop new protocols for plant cell culture trait manipulation and suggest new ideas for cell culture and genetic engineering experiments, specifically related to cell elongation and protoplast transformation systems
- Lead the design and end to end execution of suggested experiments, including data gathering, analysis and presentation
- Responsible for cell culture maintenance, including media preparation, data management related to the cultures following the standard guidelines
- Deliver regular progress reports internally
- Use computational tools to quantify cell traits and perform statistical analysis
- Work cross-functionally to develop skills and learn new molecular biology techniques, including nucleic acid extraction, handling, and manipulation, molecular cloning, and bacterial handling and transformation
- Work with passionate researchers who want to change the world
Education and Qualifications:
- M.S. degree in Biology – Molecular biology, cell biology, plant biology or any other related field or B.S degree in Biology with 2 years of prior experience working in Genetic Engineering
- Skilled in sterile technique for tissue culture
- Expert in capturing, recording and analyzing data
- Experience with designing and executing experiments, optimizing protocols, and analyzing data from assays
- Strong sense of ambition and initiative;
- Excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills.
- Boston, MA - U.S. Work Visa Required.
What We Offer:
- Fast-paced environment with rapid growth opportunities;
- Excellent full-time benefits including comprehensive medical coverage, dental, and vision options;
- Life and disability insurance;
- 401(k) with company match;
- Paid vacation and holidays
GALY is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), age, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected status by applicable law.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the functions, responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position, and GALY retains the discretion to modify functions, responsibilities, duties and skills at any time, including modifying the time devoted to such activities, deleting activities and assigning other activities.
Who we are:
GALY is growing the future. We are an army of dreamers that believe scientists are the artists of a new era. We envision a world where we can still produce sought-after materials without the physical burden we place on the planet and its people, especially those without opportunity. That is why we are revolutionizing the way we produce goods today by building a much more sustainable and distributable form of agriculture. However, nobody takes innovation seriously until you scale it. We are on it! By developing novel scale-up strategies for in-vitro production of cotton that have never been done on an industrial scale, we will achieve something truly new. To do this, we are gathering a team with highly diverse skills and experiences, ranging from genetic engineering, plant cell culture, sterile process development, bioreactor design, mathematics, statistics agriculture, high-performance automation, stylists, illustrators, fashion designers, creative business development, marketing and branding strategies. A group on a mission to save our planet. We are scientists. We are artists. We are GALY.