Senior Bioprocess Engineer
We are out of time. Change must be immediate. We have to help the world find alternative ways to produce all the same things we love. But better. Using less land, less water, less energy, and making less waste. If you think that sounds like a mission, well, you are right. We are solving the world’s most important problems with talented individuals who share our passion to change the world. GALY is an early-stage company developing novel in vitro plant cell culture methods to produce cotton, and other plant products in a process that is faster and uses fewer resources than if grown in the ground. GALY's environment is built so everyone, regardless of gender, race, religion, age, or background, can do their best work.
We are the movers and the shakers that have taken the leap from traditional agriculture to cellular agriculture. We value curious, creative and enthusiastic individuals who share our passion for improving the world through technology. In joining GALY, you will be a part of our diverse, Open Build culture driven by collaboration, science and technology. Learn more about us and our culture by visiting our LinkedIn page!
We are seeking a dynamic Bioprocess Engineer to join our innovative Bioprocessing team at GALY. This position offers the opportunity to work with cutting-edge technologies, contribute to process development, and play a crucial role in scaling up our revolutionary core technology. The ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced startup environment, possess exceptional problem-solving skills, and have a passion for optimizing workflows to support GALY's mission.
- Plan, supervise, and coordinate projects for installing industrial bioreactors, ensuring seamless integration and functionality.
- Identify and solve engineering challenges in Upstream and Downstream processes, focusing on operational procedures tailored to GALY's unique bioprocesses.
- Contribute to the development of data architectures and engineering process models to enhance efficiency and scalability.
- Identify key challenges in scaling operations and communicate areas for improvement to the wider technical team and leadership.
- Align and ensure daily execution of approved internal procedures, including SOPs and IoTs, to maintain quality control standards.
- Develop and scale up heterotrophic plant cells from the cell bank to bioreactors for both R&D and industrial production phases.
- Bachelor of Science degree required; advanced degree preferred, particularly in bioengineering or closely related technical fields.
- Minimum of 5 years of industry experience in technology development, with exposure to bench, pilot, and commercial-scale bioprocessing, wastewater treatment, or similar fields.
- 2+ years of experience with Single Use Bioreactors and proficiency in fermentation equipment and procedures at the pilot scale.
- Strong background in sterile operations, cleaning procedures, and standard scale-up parameters (kLa, OTR, OUR, etc.).
- Experience with plant cell culture is highly desirable, along with knowledge of microscopy techniques for contamination and cell viability assessment.
- Proven ability to excel in a fast-paced startup environment, with strong project management skills and a results-focused approach.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to collaborate effectively across all levels of the organization.
- Sound judgment in navigating uncertainty and ambiguity, coupled with high self-motivation and a solutions-oriented mindset.
- Previous experience working in an early-stage startup environment.
- Prior plant cell culture experience.
- Knowledge or understanding of larger scales and how the process is impacted as scales increase.
- Additional certifications or training in relevant technical areas.
What we offer at GALY:
- A nimble organization with plenty of growth opportunities
- Competitive total compensation, commensurate with experience
- Excellent full-time benefits that include comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage, as well as life and disability insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Holidays and Paid Time Off, which may include company paid vacation during the last week of December
- Additional benefits include allowance for food, transportation and continuing education
- Stock Option Plan
GALY offers highly competitive salaries and benefits, including medical and dental insurance, paid time off, and 401(k). Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. GALY may agree to sponsor an individual for an employment visa now or in the future if there is a shortage of individuals with particular skills for this job. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We are not able to sponsor individuals for employment visas for this job.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
This position is based in our Boston location - GALY may agree to offer relocation assistance for this role.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the functions, responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position, and GALY retains the discretion to modify functions, responsibilities, duties and skills at any time, including modifying the time devoted to such activities, deleting activities and assigning other activities.
Who we are:
GALY is growing the future. We are an army of dreamers that believe scientists are the artists of a new era. We envision a world where we can still produce sought-after materials without the physical burden we place on the planet and its people, especially those without opportunity. That is why we are revolutionizing the way we produce goods today by building a much more sustainable and distributable form of agriculture. However, nobody takes innovation seriously until you scale it. We are on it! By developing novel scale-up strategies for in-vitro production of cotton that have never been done on an industrial scale, we will achieve something truly new. To do this, we are gathering a team with highly diverse skills and experiences, ranging from genetic engineering, plant cell culture, sterile process development, bioreactor design, mathematics, statistics agriculture, high-performance automation, stylists, illustrators, fashion designers, creative business development, marketing and branding strategies. A group on a mission to save our planet. We are scientists. We are artists. We are GALY.