Lab Technician, Bioprocessing
We are out of time. Change must be immediate. We have to help the world find alternative ways to produce all the same things we love. But better. Using less land, less water, less energy, and making less waste. If you think that sounds like a mission, well, you are right. We are solving the world’s most important problems with talented individuals who share our passion to change the world. GALY is an early-stage company developing novel in vitro plant cell culture methods to produce cotton, and other plant products in a process that is faster and uses fewer resources than if grown in the ground. GALY's environment is built so everyone, regardless of gender, race, religion, age, or background, can do their best work.
We are the movers and the shakers that have taken the leap from traditional agriculture to cellular agriculture. We value curious, creative and enthusiastic individuals who share our passion for improving the world through technology. In joining GALY, you will be a part of our diverse, Open Build culture driven by collaboration, science and technology. Learn more about us and our culture by visiting our LinkedIn page!
We are seeking an experienced Lab Technician to join our Bioprocessing team. In this position, you will work with our scale-up team members to execute in-lab processes for building up cell production, maintain the production schedule and to optimize processes as we scale up to larger bioreactors.
- Execute bioprocess experiment setup in accordance with established protocols.
- Work with single-use technology, including setup, operation, and maintenance.
- Plan and execute cell culture processes according to established protocols.
- Support engineers and scientists in scaling up bioprocessing operations.
- Prep, maintain, and sanitize production equipment to ensure efficiency and sterility.
- Manage and track inventory of supplies for experiments, collaborating with lab operations to ensure availability.
- Contribute to process optimization efforts, identifying areas for improvement, provide feedback to the bioprocessing team, and implement changes.
- Assist with data reporting and organization to support ongoing projects.
- Bachelors of Science in a related field (biology, bioengineering, biotechnology) or Chemical Engineering degree with at least 6 months’ industry experience working in a lab.
- Familiarity with sterile techniques and laboratory safety protocols
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team
- Willingness to learn and adapt to new technologies and methodologies
- Prior knowledge with media preparation, troubleshooting laboratory equipment, and maintaining a sterile environment.
- Knowledge of production equipment operation and process development principles.
- Excellent time management skills to effectively balance multiple tasks and responsibilities.
- Basic understanding of data analytics for process monitoring and improvement.
- Familiarity with single-use technology, ideally with exposure to bioreactors.
- Experience with plant cell culture.
- Experience in bioprocessing or a related field is preferred but not required.
What we offer at GALY:
- A nimble organization with plenty of growth opportunities
- Competitive total compensation, commensurate with experience
- Excellent full-time benefits that include comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage, as well as life and disability insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Holidays and Paid Time Off, which may include company paid vacation during the last week of December
- Additional benefits include allowance for food, transportation and continuing education
- Stock Option Plan
GALY offers highly competitive salaries and benefits, including medical and dental insurance, paid time off, and 401(k)
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We are not able to sponsor individuals for employment visas for this job.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
This position is based in our Boston, MA location - there is no relocation assistance offered at this time.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the functions, responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position, and GALY retains the discretion to modify functions, responsibilities, duties and skills at any time, including modifying the time devoted to such activities, deleting activities and assigning other activities.
Who we are:
GALY is growing the future. We are an army of dreamers that believe scientists are the artists of a new era. We envision a world where we can still produce sought-after materials without the physical burden we place on the planet and its people, especially those without opportunity. That is why we are revolutionizing the way we produce goods today by building a much more sustainable and distributable form of agriculture. However, nobody takes innovation seriously until you scale it. We are on it! By developing novel scale-up strategies for in-vitro production of cotton that have never been done on an industrial scale, we will achieve something truly new. To do this, we are gathering a team with highly diverse skills and experiences, ranging from genetic engineering, plant cell culture, sterile process development, bioreactor design, mathematics, statistics agriculture, high-performance automation, stylists, illustrators, fashion designers, creative business development, marketing and branding strategies. A group on a mission to save our planet. We are scientists. We are artists. We are GALY.