Lab Technician, Cell Bank
We are out of time. Change must be immediate. We have to help the world find alternative ways to produce all the same things we love. But better. Using less land, less water, less energy, and making less waste. If you think that sounds like a mission, well, you are right. We are solving the world’s most important problems with talented individuals who share our passion to change the world. GALY is an early-stage company developing novel in vitro plant cell culture methods to produce cotton, and other plant products in a process that is faster and uses fewer resources than if grown in the ground. GALY's environment is built so everyone, regardless of gender, race, religion, age, or background, can do their best work.
We are the movers and the shakers that have taken the leap from traditional agriculture to cellular agriculture. We value curious, creative and enthusiastic individuals who share our passion for improving the world through technology. In joining GALY, you will be a part of our diverse, Open Build culture driven by collaboration, science and technology. Learn more about us and our culture by visiting our LinkedIn page!
We are seeking an experienced Lab Technician to join our Process Development team. As a Lab Technician, you will play a crucial role in supporting our scientific research by preparing various equipment and materials for laboratory activities, ensuring our cell lines are properly stored, and maintaining a sterile environment within the lab.
- Prepare culture media, autoclave for sterilization, and prepare stock solutions to support ongoing experiments and projects.
- Perform cell subculture techniques to maintain cell lines and ensure their viability.
- Conduct quality control checks on samples, ensuring accuracy and consistency in experimental results.
- Implement barcoding procedures to maintain traceability and organization of samples within the biorepository.
- Assist in washing glassware and maintaining cleanliness and organization in the laboratory environment.
- Perform cell viability analysis using microscopy and other relevant techniques.
- Prepare reports with data analysis, summarizing experimental findings and observations.
- Conduct experimental tests under the supervision of a senior scientist, contributing to ongoing research initiatives.
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field, such as Biology, Biotechnology, or a related discipline with 6+ months of industry experience in a laboratory setting.
- Proficiency in basic lab operations and techniques, with hands-on experience in laboratory activities.
- Experience working with cells is required (plant, mammalian, microbial, or insect cells).
- Experience working in sterile environments and adherence to good laboratory practices (GLP).
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills, with the ability to maintain accurate records and documentation.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Direct experience handling plant cells is highly desired.
What we offer at GALY:
- A nimble organization with plenty of growth opportunities
- Competitive total compensation, commensurate with experience
- Excellent full-time benefits that include comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage, as well as life and disability insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Holidays and Paid Time Off, which may include company paid vacation during the last week of December
- Additional benefits include allowance for food, transportation and continuing education
- Stock Option Plan
GALY offers highly competitive salaries and benefits, including medical and dental insurance, paid time off, and 401(k). Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required.
GALY may agree to sponsor an individual for an employment visa now or in the future if there is a shortage of individuals with particular skills for this job. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
This position is based in our Boston, MA location - there is no relocation assistance offered at this time.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the functions, responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position, and GALY retains the discretion to modify functions, responsibilities, duties and skills at any time, including modifying the time devoted to such activities, deleting activities and assigning other activities.
Who we are:
GALY is growing the future. We are an army of dreamers that believe scientists are the artists of a new era. We envision a world where we can still produce sought-after materials without the physical burden we place on the planet and its people, especially those without opportunity. That is why we are revolutionizing the way we produce goods today by building a much more sustainable and distributable form of agriculture. However, nobody takes innovation seriously until you scale it. We are on it! By developing novel scale-up strategies for in-vitro production of cotton that have never been done on an industrial scale, we will achieve something truly new. To do this, we are gathering a team with highly diverse skills and experiences, ranging from genetic engineering, plant cell culture, sterile process development, bioreactor design, mathematics, statistics agriculture, high-performance automation, stylists, illustrators, fashion designers, creative business development, marketing and branding strategies. A group on a mission to save our planet. We are scientists. We are artists. We are GALY.