Staff Software Engineer
As a member of the engineering team at Jellyfish, the Staff Engineer role may support multiple teams or projects at different times, rather than being permanently seated with one team. You might be integrating new data sources, building new ways of visualizing our data, or working with customers to make sure they're getting the most of our platform. In archetype terminology, this could take the shape of a mix of Architect, Solver, and Right-Hand style contributions, depending on the strengths of the engineer and the situational needs.
We're a small team making a big impact. There's a lot of work to do, and we'd love your help.
Let’s talk about you!
- Excited about the intersection of people and technology, and helping other engineers level up.
- Proud of the cultural impact you make as well as the things we build together.
- You might blaze a trail for others to follow through prototyping or shipping something one day, and offer review, guidance, or support the next.
- You’re as invested in how we make technical decisions as a team as you are what technical choices we make.
- Ability to focus on business impact and outcomes, and work autonomously with a good sense of prioritization.
- As one of our most senior engineers, you’re a leader, even without the formal management responsibilities.
Let’s talk about what you need to excel
- You have experience building and supporting production software systems
- You are great at asking questions, figuring out what needs to be done, building consensus, and executing
- You love learning new things and teaching others what you know
- You actively contribute to process improvement initiatives and identify opportunities to optimize.
- You stay updated on industry trends, emerging technologies, and best practices.
- You are a strong programmer with some set of programming tools, even if they're not the ones we are using
- You have strong communication skills, and enjoy teamwork
- You bring strong skills with our technology stack (Python 3 / Django / Postgres, hosted on AWS)
- You have worked in a small startup before, and loved it
- You bring experience and opinions about the different ways engineering teams can work and the tools they use
A list of job experiences and qualification requirements is great, but humility, a performance-driven attitude, and a team-player approach are most important to us. We love to have fun and win in the process. We only hire people who have a passion for building great companies in an environment where a sense of humor is a must.
Let’s talk about us!
This is all about you, but you want to know a little about us. Jellyfish was started in 2017 as a team of three with one big idea: engineering is the core of modern business, so let’s create and manage it that way! With the help of our customers, we have built the first Engineering Management Platform, providing visibility into engineering organizations, their work, and how they operate. We enable leaders to align engineering decisions with business initiatives and deliver the right software efficiently and on time.
We believe that it takes a diverse team to build the best company we can. Jellyfish welcomes people from all backgrounds and especially encourages applications from members of groups underrepresented in the software industry.