Senior Software Engineer
We are seeking a senior software engineer for a key role: architecture and implementation across the software pipeline for next-generation 3D printers in a fast-paced multidisciplinary environment. Successful candidates will be passionate about software system design and implementation, 3D printing, building machines, and working on complex problems that involve advanced materials, optics, and systems. Good news: it’s serious fun!
- Propose, implement, test, and tune the printer software stack, for a volumetric 3D printer, whose aspects will be situated in a host PC and printer embedded software as appropriate. This will span:
- critically, designing a next-generation software architecture that encompasses the pipeline from part file input and parameter setting, to control of light modulation and various mechanical components, such as motion stages.
- file import and parsing (e.g., STL)
- ideation and implementation of 3D object manipulation and slice computation for high quality prints
- data transmission to electro-optical subsystems for light modulation and switching, and motion control
- The role may also include:
- utilization of the company’s existing printer software in the standing-up of a next-generation printer
- the development of a thin User Interface and front-end software to provide capabilities enabled by the next-gen printer
- Participating in brainstorming sessions with a cross-disciplinary team in optics, mechanics, electronics, materials science, photochemistry, and product marketing
- Developing documentation within and for your work product
- Compliance with EH&S requirements and promote safety in the work environment
- BS/MS in Computer Science, or academic or professional experience embodying equivalent knowledge
- 5 years’ experience designing and developing software in a professional setting
- Able to write with C/C++ (for low-level systems and embedded programming)
- Able to write in C# and/or Python for application development
- 3D object manipulation and slicing
- Image processing
- Able to write, test, and debug low-level code for microcontrollers; and the associated ability to use documentation for offboard systems having embedded software and interface control specifications, e.g. light modulators, electro-mechanic controllers
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently as well as part of team
- Great documentation, experimental design, and result recording skills
- 10+ years’ experience with software development
- Comfort with full stack software development in the context of a hardware/software product, from the user interface to file import, slicing, parameter setting, and low-level interfaces to synchronized electro-optics and electro-mechanics.
- Track record in developing algorithmic techniques in the context of image or rendering quality improvements, e.g., slicers for 3D printers
- Experience with common 3D object and 2D surface file types
- Experience using or implementing laboratory software for controlling stages, lasers, sensors, cameras, etc.
- Experience managing one or more software engineers
- Knowledge of best practices for industrial software development, including verification and validation
- We offer competitive compensation packages in our VC-backed startup
- Benefits include a full suite of offerings covering medical, dental, vision and 401k plan.
- Beautiful setting looking out over a river and seaport; outdoor seating and picnic areas.
- Highly collaborative work environment.
- Travel: Occasional travel may be required from time to time
We value diversity in our company and are an Equal Opportunity Employer.