Optical Systems Engineer
We are seeking an Optical Systems Engineer to be in a leadership role for the effort to transition our high performing next-generation 3D printers from functional prototype to customer product. Successful candidates will be passionate about optical system design and analysis, 3D printing, prototyping, optical alignment, and working on complex problems that involve advanced optical concepts, materials, mechanics, and systems.
- Work within a cross functional team to strategize and plan for the transition from prototype to shippable product
- Perform a wide range of optical engineering tasks at the system and subsystem levels, for example: defining optical system requirements, lens design and tolerancing, optical modeling of imaging and illumination systems, radiometry and throughput calculations, optical alignment, and optical metrology
- Specify optical components, such as lasers, LEDs, lenses, diffusers, filters, cameras, and optomechanical mounts
- Brainstorm, design, prototype, test, and refine optical systems in support of continuous improvement of printers
- Work within a small team to build the first group of printers, and facilitate the transfer to a contract manufacturer
- Develop and document the optical alignment process
- Perform printer optical testing to specification
- Establish optical testing and analysis methods for ensuring consistent printer performance across multiple printers
- Contribute toward customer support by creating alignment instructions, use instructions, and alignment tool kits
- Travel to customer sites for printer assembly, printer servicing, and customer training
- Comply with EH&S requirements and promote safety in the work environment
- 5+ years experience designing and developing optical systems in an industrial setting
- BS degree in Optical Engineering, Physics, or a related technical discipline
- Hands-on experience with building, aligning, and testing optical systems; familiar with standard methods for optical metrology
- Experience working with and specifying industrial optical components such as light sources, imaging systems, illumination systems, detectors, optomechanical mounts
- Experience in calibration methods, statistical methods, and data analysis methods
- Experience working with electromechanical components, such as sensors, motor controllers, motion stages, PLCs, actuators, and embedded automated components
- Proficient in Zemax for optical design, analysis, and tolerancing
- Highly motivated and enthusiastic problem solver
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Highly collaborative team player with ability to work independently Excellent documentation, experimental design, data collection, and data analysis skills
- 10+ years’ experience in design for manufacture, build, and test of industrial automation systems
- MS degree in Optical Engineering, Physics, or a related technical discipline
- Experience in working closely with an optomechanical engineer to design and develop optomechanical assemblies, as part of an interdisciplinary team
- Experience in driving a complex optomechanical product from prototype to product via a phased product development cycle
- Experience working within a quality management system (document control, configuration management)
- Experience in working with lasers in a laser safe environment
- Experience with controlling electromechanical systems using software such as Python or Matlab
- Experience in working at customer sites
- Experience with LightTools optical simulation software
- Electronics background, such as the use of laboratory electronic test equipment, and the fundamentals of analog and digital circuit design
- Experience in coding for instrument control and data analysis using Matlab, Python, C++, or equivalent
- We offer competitive compensation packages in our VC-backed startup
- Benefits include a full suite of offerings covering medical, dental, vision and 401k plan.
- Beautiful setting looking out over a river and seaport; outdoor seating and picnic areas.
- Highly collaborative work environment.
- Travel: Travel several times per year to domestic and/or international customer sites
- Location: Charlestown, Massachusetts
We value diversity in our company and are an Equal Opportunity Employer.