Senior Polymer Scientist
We are seeking a Senior Polymer Scientist to develop photocurable materials for next-generation 3D printers in a fast-paced multidisciplinary environment. Successful candidates will be passionate about polymer/oligomer synthesis, photopolymer formulation, polymer thermo/mechanical/optical characterization, 3D printing, building machines, and working on complex problems that involve advanced materials, optics, and systems. Good news: it’s serious fun!
- Develop photocurable compositions that produce 3D printed components with application-enabling thermal, mechanical, optical, and other performance properties. This will span:
- Design and synthesis of oligomers/polymers for photocurable materials formulation
- Formulation and characterization of photocurable materials and printed parts
- Interfacing with interdisciplinary product development team to develop application driven-materials
- Interfacing with external parties and stakeholders regarding materials, material performance, and evaluation thereof
- Working with a diverse and interdisciplinary team of chemists and materials, optical, electronics, mechanical, and product engineers to develop industry leading 3D printing pipeline from 3D geometry to parts
- Scale up of laboratory processes
- Supervision of interns and co-op students
- Comply with EH&S requirements and promote safety in the work environment.
- MS/PhD in Polymer Science, Polymer Engineering, Polymer Chemistry, Materials Science and Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, or related fields
- 3-5 years’ experience designing and commercializing photocurable materials in industry
- Strong competency in tensile/flexural/impact testing, DSC, DMA, rheometer, FT-IR, UV-Vis, GPC/SEC
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently as well as part of team
- Great documentation, experimental design, and result recording skills
- Deep understanding of photopolymer structure/properties/processing/performance relationships
- Experience commercializing polyurethane coatings and/or elastomers
- Experience commercializing thermoset resins
- Experience commercializing resins for 3D printing applications
- Fabrication skills: 3D printing
- Computer skills: CAD, scripting e.g., Python, data visualization e.g. tableau
- We offer competitive compensation packages in our VC-backed startup
- Benefits include a full suite of offerings covering medical, dental, vision and 401k plan.
- Beautiful setting looking out over a river and seaport; outdoor seating and picnic areas.
- Highly collaborative work environment.
- Travel: Occasional travel may be required from time to time
We value diversity in our company and are an Equal Opportunity Employer.