We are seeking a Mechanical Engineer to be in a highly collaborative and technical role for the effort to transition our high performing next-generation 3D printers from functional prototype to customer product. Design work on this team will directly impact the final product. Successful candidates will be passionate about mechanical system design and analysis, 3D printing, prototyping, building, and working on complex problems that involve advanced mechanical concepts, materials, optics, and systems.
- Work within a cross functional team to strategize and plan for the transition from prototype to shippable product
- Improve mechanical design of printer components, with an emphasis on modularity, ease of assembly and alignment, thermal design, and laser safety
- Brainstorm, design, prototype, test, and refine mechanical systems in support of continuous improvement of printers
- Work within a small team to build the first group of printers, and facilitate the transfer to a contract manufacturer
- Develop and document the assembly process
- Perform printer mechanical and thermal testing to specification
- Do mechanical design of alignment and calibration fixturing, with an emphasis on ease of use in the field
- Do thermal analysis and design in support of printer use in challenging environments
- Establish mechanical and thermal testing and analysis methods for ensuring consistent printer performance across multiple printers
- Do mechanical design to interface printer to customer infrastructure, such as resin container handling and loading
- Contribute toward customer support by creating assembly instructions, use instructions, and mechanical tool kits
- Travel to customer sites for printer assembly, printer servicing, and customer training Comply with EH&S requirements and promote safety in the work environment
- 5+ years experience designing electromechanical products such as industrial automation equipment, robots or similar systems
- BS degree in mechanical engineering or a related technical discipline
- Experience working with and specifying industrial optical and electrical components, such as lens and mirror systems, sensors, motor controllers, motion stages, PLCs, actuators, and embedded automated components
- Experienced user of SolidWorks
- Highly hands on builder and problem solver
- Excellent communication, documentation, and organizational skills Highly collaborative team player with ability to work independently
- 10+ years experience in design for manufacture, build, and test of industrial automation systems
- MS in mechanical engineering or a related technical discipline
- Experience in working closely with an optical engineer to design and develop optomechanical assemblies, as part of an interdisciplinary team
- Experience in driving a complex optomechanical product from prototype to product via a phased product development cycle
- Experience working within a quality management system (document control, configuration management)
- Experience in working with lasers in a laser safe environment
- Experience with systems involving material handling and fluidics
- Experience in coding for instrument control and data analysis using Matlab, Python, C++, or equivalent
- Experience in doing thermal simulations and implementing thermal mitigation strategies
- Experience in working at customer sites
- Prototyping skills, such as: 3D printing, shop tools, and CNC CAM
- Experience with SolidWorks thermal simulation, fluid simulation, and/or PDM document control
- Electronics background, such as the use of laboratory electronic test equipment, and the fundamentals of analog and digital circuit design
- We offer competitive compensation packages in our VC-backed startup
- Benefits include a full suite of offerings covering medical, dental, vision and 401k plan.
- Beautiful setting looking out over a river and seaport; outdoor seating and picnic areas.
- Highly collaborative work environment.
- Travel: Travel several times per year to domestic and/or international customer sites
- Location: Charlestown, Massachusetts
We value diversity in our company and are an Equal Opportunity Employer.