Open Call - Soil Carbon Field Tech (Contract - Central US based)
Yard Stick PBC
Qualifications - Must Have
- Some combination of education and/or experience in natural sciences, agriculture, conservation, soil science, natural resource management or another related field of study. We don’t require formal education, but one way or another, you have the experience that’ll make you comfortable on farms and around producers, and are no stranger to having your hands in the dirt.
- Extensive experience and comfort with physical field work. Experience working with your hands out in the field is key to this role. You don’t flinch at the idea of 8 hours in the sun moving from customer farm to farm, sometimes for two weeks straight.
- Comfort with field tools, technologies and strategies. Our offerings use technologies like GPS, ATVs, and mobile app-based sample inventory tracking systems. You can drive an ATV, or you’re not afraid to learn. You use mechanical tools comfortably. Note: Yard Stick will provide a vehicle if you don’t have one for this role, or will generously reimburse if you do.
- Attention to detail and commitment to craft. When you take a 30 cm soil core, it’s 30 cm. You care deeply about the details. You take written instructions well, triple-check your work by nature, and will follow an SOP to the letter. You are proud to do your work very well.
- Strong personal independence and entrepreneurial autonomy. If you can’t get your boss on the phone, you figure it out. You assess the situation, consider solutions, make a plan, and execute, even if your closest coworker is 100 miles away.
- Comfort with extended travel. Projects can often be in remote areas of the country -- spending a week or two at a time away from home is essential to this role.
- Personal enthusiasm and comfort in agricultural contexts. You care about farming or ranching. The idea of helping activate agriculture to fight against climate change excites you. It matters to you that you’re working on a problem of existential significance.
- Ability to share product feedback to improve systems. When you’re asked for feedback, you pay attention and communicate observations clearly, especially in writing. You document things carefully and are curious when using new products or technologies.
- Existing permanent authorization to work in the United States.
Qualifications - Nice To Have
- Personal, durable enthusiasm for the challenge of climate change.
- Awareness of current issues in carbon markets - particularly carbon removal. You’ve heard of offsets/credits and some of the attendant criticism of low-quality projects of the past and present. You’ve got some basic knowledge about how carbon markets work, and you’ve heard about how carbon removal is a new, exciting, and controversial approach to climate challenges.
- There will be a significant portion of the year that we’re not sampling, and we’re interested in other skills you can bring to the team! Specifically if you have any of the following, we’d love to hear about it: GIS or other mapping software; vehicle and equipment maintenance; equipment + logistics management; agricultural sales or similar; agronomy; data science, etc.
Compensation and Other Details
- $40/hr to start, with travel expenses (including time) paid. Performance raise after a set number of projects have been completed.
- Remote first, Midwest/Plains preferred (NE/KS/CO/IA).